Saturday, July 12, 2014

Throwing energy away is not cool

Although I've been focusing mainly on disposable waste, I also think about energy consumption and waste. This post is a detour into the world of refrigeration.

The refrigerator that I inherited when I moved into my house was huge: nearly 22 cubic feet. Rarely could I keep it full which meant that I've been using more electricity than necessary, even with water-filled yogurt tubs taking up space to maximize efficiency. A friend has a 14-cubic foot refrigerator in his house -- perfect for my needs -- so I started looking for one of my own. 

The first thing I discovered is that few retailers stock small refrigerators on their display floors. Smaller sizes apparently don't sell frequently enough to warrant using the space. If I wanted one, I'd have to get one by special order. So I began researching options online.

How surprising to discover that a 14-cubic foot refrigerator is less efficient than an 18-cubic foot one of the same style and from the same manufacturer.


I wonder if this is a supply-and-demand issue. In the United States, the average fridge size is larger than elsewhere in the world.  
"Most Americans are used to living with a refrigerator measuring anywhere from 20 to 26 cubic feet. When Americans visit European homes, however, they are often startled to discover that most Europeans are happy with refrigerators that are only half as big." (Retrieved from Green Building Advisor)
It wasn't always this way. In 1947, the average size of a fridge in the U.S. was only 8.2 cubic feet. The 2008 average of 21.4 cubic feet represents a cumulative increase of 159%.

Retrieved from http://web.mit.edu/ebm/www/Publications/MITEI-1-a-2010.pdf
 
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, energy use for 'appliances, electronics and lighting' is increasing.  

Given these two trends, it's not surprising that we in the U.S. use 3.4 times more electricity per person per year than the world average. 

Retrieved from http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/average-household-electricity-consumption

Our refrigerators alone consume more electricity than the overall electricity use of many others in the world: 

All said, my refrigerator purchase was starting to feel like a significant consideration. 

The author of the Green Building Advisor article on the topic of refrigeration suggests that his family of four has enjoyed a 10-cubic foot Sun Frost refrigerator for twenty years. Unfortunately, that model costs around $3000.

After carefully considering available options, I chose an 18-cubic foot, CEE Tier 3 model that I found online at Sears. CEE stands for the Consortium for Energy Efficiency. Tier levels were adopted in 1997, according to the CEE timeline
"The first tier contains products that are 20 percent above standards set by the government. The second tier contains products 25 percent above those standards. The third tier contains products that are 30 percent above those standards." (Retrieved from http://houseware.answers.com/appliances/what-is-the-cee-tier-rating)
Most Energy Star-rated appliances, according to the CEE, fall in Tier 1.

My CEE Tier 3 model meets the Green Building Advisor recommendations for maximum efficiency: 
  • Small (14 to 18 cubic feet)
  • Freezer on top (side-by-side models are energy hogs)
  • No 'through-the-door' ice dispenser
  • Labeled with a yellow EnergyGuide that shows 350 kWh/year or lower
Where did my old fridge go? My friend, Richard (mentioned day #5 of the challenge), picked it up for use during his barn dances. The fridge is a 1998 model and still efficient compared to pre-1993 standards, so it's worth using for those 'some-time' events. It's so big that it will be perfect for storing beer and food for the potluck. It will also be unplugged when not in use. 

Richard's older, smaller fridge will go to Focus on Energy for a $40 rebate. Collecting old refrigerators helps the Appliance Recycling Centers of America (ARCA) to perform energy consumption testsSending the old fridge for the rebate also prevents e-waste in the landfill (see day #20).

I think that's cool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment