Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 14 of 20: Hurry now! Offer ends soon!

Years ago, I wrote to the Direct Mail Marketing Service to "opt-out" of receiving junk mail, and it worked. For a long time I didn't receive any. Failure to renew that opt-out, coupled perhaps by a magazine I once purchased with expiring frequent flyer miles, means that I'm now getting enough junk mail to insulate a house. In just the last two weeks, I've received a hefty stack, none of it wanted:  

When I first started noticing that I was getting more junk mail, I simply put it in the bag with paper recycling, except that unwanted mail increasingly comes with plastic cards stuck to the paper with gummy adhesives, stickers, glossy return-address labels, greeting cards, laminated maps, and other stuff that isn't necessarily recyclable.

So, in addition to sorting junk mail into recyclable and non-recyclable waste piles, I started returning some of it with a polite note asking that the organization remove my name from their mailing list. I sent those back using their own postage-paid envelopes:


That hasn't seemed to help at all either, although the guys at my local post office say that they're grateful for the business.

There are a few aggressive internet companies that send a 'hurry now! offer ends soon!' letter every other week. Earlier this year, I pooled their solicitations until I'd accumulated an impressive stack for each company; wrote a formal business letter to the head of their respective direct-mail marketing centers requesting that they stop sending me unsolicited mail; and included the stack for evidence. I continue to get their mail. (Do they really think I would give them my business at this point?)

There's some evidence that paper waste is on the decline since many marketers have shifted to cyber-advertising. Still, waste is waste. Why cut down a tree for something that I won't even bother to read? 

Here's another example: I haven't used a phone book in years. When I researched how to 'opt out' of those, I found instruction on my municipality's website:
“All you need to do is simply place your phone book in your green recycling cart.”
That, folks, is not an opt-out. Said the tree.

So, I'll be renewing my opt-out with the Direct Marketing Association's Mail Preference Service again (sigh). Doing this in writing by old-fashioned letter is free; online costs $5.00.  This opt-out lasts for five years, so one has to remember to renew, which I didn't and accounts for the pile of mail on my table.  
***Update: the web links I provided in June no longer worked in November. When I searched for the Direct Marketing Association, I found new 'opt-out' links: one for dmachoice.org (which appears to be a new web link for the Direct Marketing Association) and another for directmail.com. Both enable opt-out online without a fee.

For better or worse, I won't be submitting my information to the Yellow Pages Opt Out. Read this if you want to know why.

There are other things one can do, such as opting-out of pre-screened insurance and credit offers through the Federal Trade Commission. Online opt-out lasts five years. Permanent opt-out requires printing and mailing a form. 
 
If I don't want to do the work myself, I can pay a fee for a company to do it for me.
41pounds.org is an example. They'll even donate some of their profit.  

Is it me, or does living in a world in which companies make money by helping people to stop getting mailings from other companies that are trying to make money make you wonder if we've lost all perspective?


No comments:

Post a Comment