Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 3 of 20: Graduating to the idea

This evening, I attended an outdoor graduation party and was delighted to discover that the hosts were providing ceramic dishes and silverware. You can see the hint of disposables available underneath the table, but no one was using them because volunteers were maintaining a steady supply of clean plates as the dish tub filled.
There was also a composting bucket provided.

This was encouraging, especially since evidence of our profligate use of natural resources is so easy to find and can make one wonder: why bother?

Earlier today, still reached for paper napkins and towels on total autopilot, but was aware of other choices such as whether to purchase the caramel sea salt pudding in the plastic throw-away cup. I didn't. Decided I'd feel worse about the cup than I wanted the pudding. You might be asking why the heck not, since it was already there and in the cup. My thinking went like this: if I don't choose it, then I don't create demand for it. 

Ever read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

No comments:

Post a Comment