Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 19 of 20: How many R's for a healthy planet?

Tomorrow is 'garbage day' in my neighborhood and the last of this 20-day challenge. In day #7, the deliberate order of the wording in the 'reduce-reuse-recycle' equation became clearer to me. 

Nondisposable living is not just about recycling, but about reducing the demand for endless creation of disposable goods and packaging. When we can't reduce, we can reuse -- except sometimes we're advised not to for health reasons. See day #5.

Some models put 'refuse' (as in 'abstain entirely') before 'reduce-reuse-recycle'. The Plastic Pollution Coalition says 
Collecting plastics at curbside fosters the belief that, like aluminum and glass, these will be converted into new similar objects. This is not the case with plastic. The best we can hope for plastics is that these will be turned into other products such as doormats, textiles, plastic lumber, etc. These products will still end at some point in the landfill – and do not stem the need for more virgin petroleum product. This is not recycling, but down-cycling. 
The Plastic Pollution Coalition encourages a 'refuse disposable plastics' pledge in order to minimize the demand for the creation of new disposable plastics in the first place.

While I refused disposable plastics throughout the last 19 days, I definitely had plenty of it around the house when I began, especially in the kitchen and bathroom. Some things I'll be able to reuse, such as the shampoo bottles that I can refill at my food co-op.


Some things I won't continue to consume, such as condiment containers and plastic bags for fruit. Other things, such as vitamins and contact lens solution (pictured below), however, don't come in glass containers nor in bulk, so the decision to refuse these things is more involved.
 
Here's my recycling from the last 19 days:


Here's the garbage:


Bagged up, 19 days of garbage looks like this (tape and chopsticks on top for scale):


This is less garbage than I usually create in nearly three weeks, but far more than the family of four doing Zero Waste creates in four months (see day #6). 

The question that I'm sitting with tonight: 

How far am I willing to go? 

One-time disposables are pretty easy to refuse by bringing my own silverware and water bottle, minimizing eating on the run when the food is served on disposables, bringing my own canvas or cloth bags instead of taking plastic, using muslin instead of plastic bags for buying vegetables. Those are the big ones in terms of frequency of opportunity.

What about reducing consumption of other things that are sold in plastic? Will I make the time to my own yogurt all of the time instead of ever buying in it plastic tubs?  (See day #1.)  Will I find a substitute for packaging tape? What kind of toothbrush am I going to use?  Can I find a substitute for plastic-packaged dental floss, and dental floss that isn't nylon (a thermoplastic)?  Is carry-out dining a thing of my past? Will I just say no to beverages served in plastic cups at events in which glass is prohibited? Can I be the person who asks event planners how they could consider doing things differently - without becoming tiresome?



No comments:

Post a Comment